These are the guidelines we use for preparing an adventure in Humboldt. They could be easily translated to suit another club.
- If you have an activity in mind, ask to reserve a month with the club’s coordinator. Sometimes it could be as much as three months in advance.
- Choose activities that challenge participants to learn or try a variety of activities.
- You may teach something you know, or plan an activity that’s new to you.
- You may invite a co-organizer to help with your event.
- KEEP THE ACTUAL ACTIVITY A MYSTERY!
- Keep activity costs under $35/person. Ideally, they should cost between $15-$25/month.
- Once or twice a year, the group can collectively decide on adventures that cost up to $100/person – allowing for adventurous activities like rafting trip, canopy tour, or a day trip on the Skunk Train. (Or something like that ) These will be non-mystery events.
- Post an event to Facebook about three weeks prior to your event, so people can schedule their day and confirm participation. Include the date, time, cost, what to wear, and any special physical requirements.
- If there is a group size limit, and more than one section is needed, create a poll – in a comment within the event – with the different times. Have people select which time they will attend.
- Find out how you will pay for the activity. Usually, it is sufficient for everybody to bring their payment to the event. If you need to pay in advance, work out a way to collect from the participants. (Maybe open a PayPal account?) We haven’t had this problem, yet. If you need to make sure you have a specific number show to cover the cost for a workshop, be sure to let people know that they will need to pay even if they don’t show for the activity.
- Update “where to meet” info on the Facebook Event for participants two days in advance. To do this, edit the event location. (Usually it just says something like “TBA” or “Eureka.”)
- Bring nametags to the event. (Or call Susan and make sure she brings them)
- Get a group photo to post on your Group Facebook page!